What are body lice?
- Pediculosis humanus corporis louse (insect)
- Adults are tan or grayish-white, and about the size of a sesame seed
- Nymphs are smaller and become adults in a week
- Female mites will attach pinhead sized eggs (nits) to clothing or the base of hairs
- Lice can live on skin for weeks before symptoms are noticed.
What are the features of Body Lice?
- Insects are found mainly on the clothing of infested people
- Can also live on the skin, where bites cause itchy, reddish bumps that are usually found on the neck or torso
- Highly contagious and a nuisance to many
What should I expect?
- This treatment is for the prevention of body lice after an exposure
- The medication used to treat and prevent body lice is the same
- Our online assessment will help determine if you are a good candidate for treatment
- The recommended treatment is a cream (permethrin) that is applied to the entire body, left on for 8-14 hours (usually overnight), and then washed off
- If you develop symptoms of body lice, you should seek an evaluation in person as soon as possible to confirm the diagnosis
- Only one application needed
- Just answer a few questions to get started with your online visit
What happens next?
- Create an MDAnywhere account. Required on your first visit only and can be completed at any time, even in advance
- Complete your online visit by answering a few medical interview questions and providing your medical history
- Remember, you do not need insurance or an appointment to complete your visit
- Once these two steps are complete, a physician will review your entire visit and treatment request
- Your treatment plan will be shared with you minutes after the physician reviews your request
- You will be notified if there is any additional information needed
- Remember to routinely check for new messages in your patient portal as this will expedite your care
- You may message your doctor at any time after submitting your treatment request
- Any necessary prescriptions or vaccine orders will be sent electronically to your pharmacy
- A visit summary with any new/refilled prescriptions or lab/vaccine orders will be sent directly to you for added convenience
- If, at any point, online treatment is not recommended, you will not be charged
- Rest assured, your private information will be protected, stored securely, and kept confidential
The information displayed on this page is for informational purposes only and is not medical opinion or advice.