What are pinworms?
- Infection with a parasite called enterobius vermicularis
- The adult female worms lay eggs around the anus, leading to inflammation
- Scratching the area leads to contamination of fingernails which spreads the infection from person to person
What are the features of a pinworm infection?
- Infestation causes itching of the anus (pruritis ani), especially at night, causing difficulty sleeping
- Some infected people do not have symptoms
- Good hand hygiene and caution when handling contaminated clothing, towels and bed linens will help reduce spread
- Over-the-counter pyrantel pamoate can be effective but commonly causes side effects
What should I expect?
- This treatment is for the prevention of pinworms after an exposure
- The medication used to treat and prevent pinworms is the same
- Our online assessment will help determine if you are a good candidate for treatment
- Mebendazole is nearly 100% effective
- Just answer a few questions to get started with your online visit
What happens next?
- Create an MDAnywhere account. Required on your first visit only and can be completed at any time, even in advance
- Complete your online visit by answering a few medical interview questions and providing your medical history
- Remember, you do not need insurance or an appointment to complete your visit
- Once these two steps are complete, a physician will review your entire visit and treatment request
- Your treatment plan will be shared with you minutes after the physician reviews your request
- You will be notified if there is any additional information needed
- Remember to routinely check for new messages in your patient portal as this will expedite your care
- You may message your doctor at any time after submitting your treatment request
- Any necessary prescriptions or vaccine orders will be sent electronically to your pharmacy
- A visit summary with any new/refilled prescriptions or lab/vaccine orders will be sent directly to you for added convenience
- Any necessary doctor's notes will be in the messages section of your portal by the end of the day, if not sooner
- If, at any point, online treatment is not recommended, you will not be charged
- Rest assured, your private information will be protected, stored securely, and kept confidential
The information displayed on this page is for informational purposes only and is not medical opinion or advice.