Pertussis, or whooping cough, is a very contagious bacterial infection and can last several months. The only effective treatment for pertussis after an exposure is the prompt use of antibiotics, usually azithromycin, (before the cough develops).
Whooping cough/pertussis prevention.
- Quick online doctor visits
- No appointment needed
- Complete your visit in minutes without video or voice calls
- Receive same day treatment with an effective antibiotic
What are some features of pertussis?
- Caused by the bacteria bordetella pertussis
- Spreads by coughing, sneezing or by touching objects contaminated with infected mucus
- Initial symptoms are the same as any cold or flu illness
- Children will often vomit after coughing or make a loud “whooping” sound while inhaling after a fit of coughing
- Symptoms may include vomiting, passing out, broken ribs, hernias or other injuries
- "100-day cough"
- Extremely dangerous to infants and the elderly
- Antibiotics are only effective within the first week of illness
How do I prevent whooping cough?
- Vaccination (TdaP) is effective but immunity lessens over time
- Wearing a mask if you have close contacts with pertussis
- Prevention with medication such as azithromycin
- Taken after exposure before you become ill
- May prevent infection from developing
- Should be taken by all household members and close contacts of persons diagnosed with Whooping Cough or Pertussis
What else should I know?
- This treatment is intended for patients without symptoms who have been exposed to a known case of pertussis
- Our online assessment will help determine if you are a good candidate for treatment
- The recommended antibiotic is a five day course of azithromycin (Z-pak)
- Timely treatment is the best way to prevent this disease after exposure
- Occasionally, even with treatment, you may still develop this illness
- Just answer a few questions to get started with your online visit
What happens next?
- Create an MDAnywhere account. Required on your first visit only and can be completed at any time, even in advance
- Complete your online visit by answering a few medical interview questions and providing your medical history & billing information
- Remember, you do not need insurance or an appointment to complete your visit
- Once these two steps are complete AND you have received your treatment request confirmation, a physician will review your entire visit
- Your treatment plan will be shared with you minutes after the physician reviews your request
- You will be notified if there is any additional information needed
- Remember to routinely check for new messages in your patient portal as this will expedite your care
- You may message your doctor at any time after completing your treatment request
- Any necessary prescriptions or vaccine orders will be sent electronically to your pharmacy
- A visit summary with any new/refilled prescriptions or lab/vaccine orders will be sent directly to you for added convenience
- Any necessary doctor's notes will be in the messages section of your portal by the end of the day, if not sooner
- If, at any point, online treatment is not recommended, you will not be charged
- Rest assured, your private information will be protected, stored securely, and kept confidential (HIPAA compliant)
What we proudly are:
A low cost and high quality patient centered telemedicine service that provides quick patient visits and treatment. A healthcare alternative that makes sense. We provide upfront pricing and affordable visit fees. The MDAnywhere team is always working on establishing new partnerships that bring even more value to our patients.
What we absolutely are not:
What differentiates us from other telemedicine sites is simple: MDAnywhere is here for you, not to sell you medication. We are not a pharmacy. We do not sell, deliver, or profit from pharmaceuticals.
We take great pride in not being a limited hours health clinic that only completes patient visits during regular business hours.
The MDAnywhere team provides affordable medical care and extended hours every day! The medical team reviews requests from 7 am - 11 pm EST every day of the year. All medical evaluations are provided by Access Medical Associates, PLLC.
The information displayed on this page is for informational purposes only and is not medical opinion or advice