What causes travelers' diarrhea?
- Bacterial (90%), viral or parasitic infections
- E. Coli, Salmonella, Shigella, Campylobacter
- Rotavirus, Norovirus
- Giardia Lamblia and others
How can you prevent travelers' diarrhea?
- Eating only food that has been thoroughly cooked and served hot and fruit that you peel before eating
- Drinking only bottled beverages and pasteurized dairy products
- Avoid using ice in your beverages
- Despite taking all precautions, you may still develop diarrhea
What can I expect?
- Our online assessment will help determine if you can be safely prescribed an antibiotic
- Should not be taken unless symptoms interfere with planned activities.
- If you already have fever, bloody diarrhea, vomiting, or abdominal pain, you should be examined in person
- This is only one part of pre-travel preparation. You may need vaccinations or other preventative medications
- See your primary doctor or visit the CDC website to find a travel specialist near you
- Just answer a few questions to get started with your online visit
CDC = Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
What happens next?
- Create an MDAnywhere account. Required on your first visit only and can be completed at any time, even in advance
- Complete your online visit by answering a few medical interview questions and providing your medical history
- Once these two steps are complete, a physician will review your entire visit and treatment request
- Your treatment plan will be shared with you minutes after the physician reviews your request
- You will be notified if there is any additional information needed
- Any necessary prescriptions or vaccine orders will be sent to your pharmacy
- A copy of any lab or vaccine orders can be sent directly to you for added convenience
- If, at any point, online treatment is not recommended, you will not be charged
- Rest assured, your private information will be protected, stored securely, and kept confidential
The information displayed on this page is for informational purposes only and is not medical opinion or advice.